An important maintenance step is dealing with the member status and member type of those members who fail to renew. If member statuses or member types are not modified, expired members might retain unwarranted access to organizational privileges. You also will not have current records on the overall status of your members.
Note that this method makes use of the Paid Thru date in the member's record to perform the status and member type conversion. Most users will be set up with cash-based accounting, so this utility will work fine. If, however, you are set up for accrual-based accounting, and the Paid Thru dates are updated automatically at each billing, you'll have to convert expired member' statuses by hand, as needed because in some cases accrual updated Paid Thru at payment time.
Note: Perform the following procedure for a single member type you want to modify. If you have more than one member type to modify, perform the procedure for each separate member type.
Do the following to modify a member type or status:
- From the Staff site, go to Membership > Manage expired members.
- In the Current member type drop-down, select the member type you want to modify.
- Enter the expiration date in the Expires on or before field. The system finds all of those selected member types that have a Paid Thru date that matches or precedes the date you enter in this field.
- (optional) Enable the Include members with a blank paid-through date option if you want the system to find those members from whom no payment was ever received.
- Click Find. You will see a list of all those members that satisfy the search parameters. You can Export a file containing the information in this result set.
- Select at least one of the following (you must select either a New member type or a New status):
- (optional) In the New member type drop-down, select the member type you want to assign for those members that satisfy the search parameters.
- (optional) In the New status drop-down, select the status you want to assign for those members that satisfy the search parameters.
- Click Submit. A message summarizing the modification process is displayed.
Note: If you select an individual member type, you cannot modify the member type to be an organization member type, and vice-versa.
If you modify the values in the Current member type or Expires on or before fields, or modify the Include members with a blank paid-through date selection, the values in the result set will not change until you click Find again.
You can also review logs for this process. Select the Logs tab to see a list indicating when the process to modify a member type or status has been run already, and what the results were. Each return will display:
- The staff user who initiated the process
- The result of the process
- When the process was begun
- When the process was completed
- How many members had their status or type modified
- Whether there were any errors in the process
You can click Details for any row in the Logs result set. A Log details window is displayed that will identify every member whose status or type was modified during a specific process, and the values that were modified.